Monday, December 08, 2008

how to ... avoid subsisting on top ramen

Image from noobcook.com

With our Euro trip just 4 days away (!!!) and the economy in shambles, I've been doing a lot of cooking and eating in the past couple of weeks. I've developed what I hope is a healthy addiction to aglio olio, which sounds, looks and tastes impressive but just might be the Italians' answer to the Top Ramen diet. Everytime I spend on something over my budget, I say, "I guess I'll have to subsist on Top Ramen for a few months!" But dear god, have you eaten that stuff? I bought one of those huge packs 5 months ago and have only had 2 servings. Aglio olio is so much easier to swallow and all you need are pretty basic ingredients: pasta, olive oil, garlic, crushed red pepper flakes, and some freshly grated parmesan and chopped up parsley to garnish. Stuff you'd most likely already have at home—but if you need to buy anything, it's not likely to set you back more than $10. Another quick and easy fave is cacio e pepe, except I don't want to bother buying pecorino romano. Anyway, for those looking for easy and uber cheap ways to get them through the financial crisis inflected holidays, here are recipes that's cost little but taste TONS better than your top ramen:

Agio Olio care of the Food Network and Cacio e Pepe via Epicurious

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...