Thursday, January 14, 2010

how to ... channel mrs. robinson

I hummed Simon and Garfunkel's "Mrs. Robinson" all day Tuesday, a compulsion brought about by the scandal rocking North Ireland over the first minister's wife, who is also a Parliament member, and her reported affair with a then 19-year-old lad. She purportedly raised thousands of pounds to help her young lover open up a business. Don't get me wrong here; I fully acknowledge that what she did was completely wrong. Adultery is never excusable, and neither is wielding publicly bestowed power for personal gain. But I can't help but get annoyed over how she's being reviled over her having a relationship with a much younger man. Men do this ALL THE TIME, and they're given a pat on the back rather than being made a pariah. Again, I am NOT saying what she did is right, but I do so despise double standards.

In any case, this is a style blog, definitely not a political one, so that's all I'm gonna say about that. What I will do is look back on the most fabulous and unforgettable cougar to grace the silver screen: Anne Bancroft as Mrs. Robinson.

"Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?" BEST. LINE. EVER.
How to channel a bit of Mrs. Robinson in your wardrobe? A little bit of leopard and a lot of lace. Ooh, and thigh-highs are of utmost importance.
Demi push-up bra by Victoria's Secret; Silk sheath by Ann Taylor; Sunglasses by Jimmy Choo at Bloomingdales; Babydoll and thigh-highs at Victoria's Secret; Elizabeth & James pumps at Bloomingdales;

I had to look up my favorite scene from The Graduate: the seduction scene of course! Dustin Hoffman's bumbling and almost hysterical reaction to Mrs. Robinson's attempts to ensnare him are just hilarious.


If you've never seen this movie, or would just like to be reminded of what a great film it is, take a look at this review by A. O. Scott for the New York Times:


Here's to you, Mrs. Robinson!

2 comments:

Lisa D. said...

those shoes are amazing. you know, i saw "the graduate" on broadway in 2002...before i watched the movie. it was pretty freaking cool. :)

celine said...

ooooh I've never seen the play! on my to-do list ... wait is it still on??

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...