Monday, November 10, 2008

A handbag you wanna take a bite out of

My co-workers were talking about falafels all day long, and by the time the clock hit 6 I was craving tahini. I walked over to Third Avenue and stopped by Crisp, which was enthusiastically recommended by aforementioned co-workers.

The menu is blessedly uncomplicated. There are 8 kinds of pita sandwiches, 6 types of hummus bowls, and 5 flavors of gourmet iced teas. The "crisps" are hearty, flavorful and perfectly cooked falafels. Generous helpings of crisps are tucked into the fresh pita bread, which is baked from scratch in the premises. I picked the Parisian handbag sandwich, which is jazzed up with a sundried tomato spread, copious chunks of goat cheese, roasted peppers, cherry tomatoes, garden greens and red onions. It is not the cheapest sandwich at $9.75, but it was so hearty and satisfying that I felt full halfway through my meal. (I'm still eating the other half as I type, 2 hours later)

The beverage list sent me over the moon. House blended iced teas flavored as such: Gaucho Mint Yerba Mate, Strawberry Magic - Green, Lychee Red - Black, Ginger Peach - White, Passion Fruit - Rooibos. The options for unsweetened, sweetened and semi-sweet sealed the deal. I officially love this place. I chose semi-sweet lychee red black iced tea, and it's fabulous.

Special shout-out to the packaging designers. All packaging used is eco-friendly, and I love the brilliant design of the pita handbag, which keeps the contents of the sandwich neatly inside the pita and away from one's trousers.

It is so amazing to have a Crisp close to work. It's not the cheapest option, but it's both guiltless and satisfying—which is hard to come by whether we're talking cuisine or couture.

Where: 684 Third Avenue between 43rd and 44th St.
When: Open Mondays to Fridays from 11am-9pm, and Saturdays from 11am to 7pm

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...