Sunday, August 30, 2009

food coma at kum gang san

I don't know if this doing overtime on the weekends thing is working out for me because I always end up doing something excessive afterwards. A couple of weeks ago, I went shopping. Today, I ended up gorging. Due to excessive whisky drinking last night, I was craving some bulgogi, so I headed to Koreatown when I finished up. It didn't occur to me though that most Korean barbeque places do minimum servings of two so I had to change my game plan. Another thing I forgot was how ridiculously generous Korean restaurants can be with the apps. I was rather intimidated when all this was laid out just for lil' old me at KumGangSan:

Sweet Jesus, their version of apps is an entire meal for me. I didn't have much time to nibble before this arrived:

I ordered Gop Dol Bibim Bap, a dish of steamed rice, carrots, zucchini, onions, mushrooms, beef and egg served in a sizzling hot stoneware pot. I love the mixture of textures in this dish but I wished there was more beef in it since that's what I was actually craving. I guess next time I should just bite the bullet and try to eat bulgogi for two if it's what I really want! Nevertheless, I left KumGungSan completely stuffed and wanting to curl up for a nap. For $13.95, it's not a bad spread at all. Now to sleep off the food coma ...

Hope you had a great weekend!


KumGangSan is located at 49 West 32nd Street between Fifth Avenue and Broadway, New York, NY 10001. Tel. (212) 967-0909

2 comments:

Shar said...

I used to really love Kum Gang San ... until their Yook Gae Jahng stopped being spicy enough. I used to go there for lunch and dinner when I was on my own.

You should try Kunjip further down the block. That seems to be the place most 20-somethings go to rather than the tourist and older people crowd at Kum Gang San.

Oh, and Tofu House probably has the best Kimchi on the block! :-D

celine said...

Oooh I've been to Kunjip! I had ridiculous amounts of Korean bbq there ... mmmm ... you're right, I totally shoulda gone there instead!

I've never tried Tofu House's kimchi, must go! My favorite kimchi has always been at Gahm Mi Oak. That together with their Sul Long Tang is just divine ...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...