Thursday, August 13, 2009

keep calm and carry on

I've seen this poster numerous times in hip homes in magazines, and always liked the message. Lately though, it's been on my mind more because this store that I walk past everyday has about 5 of these posters displayed in the store window. It got me curious about where this poster came from. It turns out that the poster was commissioned by the British Government's Ministry of Information during World War II as propaganda to be posted throughout the country upon the outbreak of war. The poster was never officially issued and thus was not known to the public until it was rediscovered 50 years later at Barter Books, a second-hand bookshop in Alnwick, Northumberland. Crown Copyright expires on artistic works created by the UK government after 50 years so the image is now in the public domain. These days, the design appears not just on posters but also on t-shirts, mugs, rugs and even lounge chairs. This is a great source of products though I'm sure you could find stuff in Etsy as well. Right now, I have it as my computer's wallpaper, but I'm thinking of displaying a printout in my cube as well. It's a good phrase to latch on to on days when you're feeling utterly overwhelmed.


5 comments:

Bernizzya said...

hi celine! this is a wonderful post. i very much need this reminder this week at work. :D

celine said...

Glad you liked it Bernice! I am tempted to wallpaper my cube with this poster :-) But the wallpaper on my PC is already working great on those days when I'm feeling overwhelmed

nie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
nie said...

Hi

I've just come across a site with a few items with this poster on, very kitsch and very English!

http://www.decorativethings.com/keep-calm-and-carry-on.html

Have you heard of Cath Kidston? She's a British interior designer and this wouldn't be out of place in a room decorated by her! http://www.cathkidston.co.uk/
Hope you’re having fun in London!

celine said...

Oh gosh Nie, I totally need the lime green "Keep Calm and Carry On" mug! Totally goes with the citrus color theme I have going in my cube at work. And you are killing me with the Cath Kidston website! I looooove everything on it! Sleepless night spent browsing coming up soon ...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...