Wednesday, August 19, 2009

velvet crush

I seriously cannot remember the last time I wore velvet. The last velvet article of clothing I had was probably a velvet party dress as a kid (why mothers in a tropical country like the Philippines thought velvet and lace were great for their daughters' party outfits, I'll never know). That's probably why the thought of velvet irked me to this day. I just think hot and itchy when I hear the word velvet!

So when I realized that velvet is one of this year's fall trends, I started out skeptical. But Shopbop did a pretty good job of persuading me that velvet can actually be a cool, easy and unfussy look. I love how this ruched asymmetrical skirt by Thayer dresses up a plain tee:

I also like the 80s partygirl look of this dress by Erin Wasson for RVCA. Sidenote: I wish I had mile-long legs that could pull off those bad-ass wedge booties by Chloe Sevigny for Opening Ceremony. They are hawt, but the way those shoes cut off the ankles can be deadly!

I'm also liking J. Crew's new Eden blazer in, you guessed it, velvet. The dusky salmon jacket would be a nice way of bringing a pop of color to the blacks that dominate my fall office wardrobe.
That's all ...

2 comments:

Christen said...

That mini dress is stunning. I might need that. And it took me some time to get used to the idea of velvet too, but I am totally loving it now!

celine said...

Thanks for the note Christen! I am with you, totally coveting that velvet dress. Who knew I would ever say those words??

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...