Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Speakeasy


Spent last night having amazing cocktails at Milk & Honey, a downtown speakeasy (now members only) that is apparently next to impossible to get to unless you know someone with a membership. We're lucky enough to be friends with someone who has the key (literally) to this place. Apparently it's quite challenging to become a member. Here's hoping ...

If you can get in here though, it's soooo worth it. The experience is something else. The door is very nondescript, save for the street number and small M&H decals. You have to be buzzed in, and the only way you're getting buzzed in is if you have a reservation. But how can you make a reservation if the number keeps changing every few months? And so it goes. Basically, you can only get in there if the owner wants you in there.


Should you manage to get in though, you're in for a treat. They serve some amazing cocktails in this joint. There is no drink list (or vodka for that matter—vodka is so out these days, apparently—and god help you if you ask for Jaeger shot). You can tell the bartender what you feel like drinking (something fizzy, something to wake me up, something refreshing) or use our tactic last night, which was to say "Surprise me." They are quite skillfull mixologists, as they managed to make a firm non-scotch imbiber like myself enjoy 2 or 3 scotch based cocktails.

Some rules in this joint that I love. #1: No name-dropping or star-f*cking. My second favorite rule is that men are not allowed to talk to a woman they don't know unless the woman expresses interest. Not that I'm hot shit and men are coming in droves to pick me up. But having worked at a beergarden once, I've had to be on the receiving end of too many douchebag attempts to strike up a conversation that I really hate it now when guys try to chat me up in bars. So I would love to have a refuge like Milk & Honey where I know I can enjoy a cocktail in fratboy-free peace.

I don't know how to end this post. I can't really give contact info for the place because I don't know the number, and what's the use of giving the address if you can't just get in? Well if you know someone who's part of this place, give it a try cos it's quite an experience.

P.S. If this post makes no sense, I apologize, as I am still in the throes of the aftermath of too many "surprises" from last night.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hahah love it! That is a very neat concept for a hangout spot :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...