Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Karim Rashid's Kurv: A Hand Vac That Doesn't Suck

Well it sucks but it doesn't suck. I mean it's perfectly capable of sucking up bread crumbs, dust bunnies and what-have-you off your carpet, couch or table. But it doesn't suck because, well, it's pretty darn cool don't you think?

I got the Choco-Latte colored Kurv by Karim Rashid for Dirt Devil last April and my love for it hasn't waned. Karim Rashid is one of the world's most popular industrial designers and a proponent of democratic design. He designed Morimoto in Philly, and his work is part of the permanent collections of musuems such as MoMa. But his collaborations with brands like Umbra, Prada, Dirt Devil and Method are what have made him, quite literally, a household name. Attractive home gadgets are especially great in a city like New York where apartments are miniscule and storage space minimal. I love that I can leave it out in my living room and it pretty much blends in. Best of all, it is not that expensive! The Kurv is originally priced at $55 but I got a few bucks off by buying it through Amazon for $49.99. It also comes in colors like Champagne, Spice and Harbour Blue. I loved the champagne colored one, but not so much that I was willing to cough up the extra 5 bucks that Amazon was charging for it.

The Kone is the more popular Karim Rashid-designed hand vac from Dirt Devil. It is even more affordable at $44.99 and can be bought through Amazon for as little as $39.99. I personally prefer the sexy, sinous lines of the Kurv, but I know a few people who own and love the Kone. This one comes in more colors, including Champagne, Choco-Latte, Plum, White and Baby Pink.

For more info on Karim Rashid stuff to get your paws on, visit the Karim Rashid Shop.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...