Friday, August 15, 2008

Love at First Light: Tord Boontje

I am in love. There I was, innocently browsing the MoMa Store website when I chanced upon THIS. This gorgeous floral shade is by Dutch designer Tord Boontje. A photographic process typically employed to make electronic components was used to create intricate patterns of cascading flowers and leaves on brass. Boontje infuses his work with romance that typifies the 17th and 18th centuries, but the result is a piece that is truly modern and innovative.

Priced at $80, it is not quite a steal--but it is a worthy investment, I think. It's a piece of art and is just timeless. It would look so ethereal in a room with a predominantly white palette. Imagine it hanging over an Eero Saarinen table (or try the IKEA knock-off?). It would look amazing! I would prefer this to those Noguchi paper lanterns that I sometimes fear could be fire hazards.

Although, I must admit, this light fixture might not be too man-friendly for those who cohabitate. I say it's another reason to seek out a metrosexual. Someday, garland floral shade, we will build a home together ...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...