Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Summer Lovin': The Frying Pan

I just love how New York never runs out of surprises. Just when you feel like your nights out are becoming routinary, you stumble into something new and special, and your love affair with the city starts all over again.

I got all starry eyed today when I ended up in a pretty amazing spot that I hadn't been to before. The Frying Pan experience did not come easy. It was playing hard to get--made me go through almost an hour of traffic to cross over to the West side, then poured bucket loads of rain down in that very special NY way (You know, the kind that lures you out of your apartment with sunshine and then dumps a thunderstorm on your sundress-wearing butt once you're 20 blocks away from the nearest umbrella). At 6:15PM, I was over it. I just wanted a beer, goddamit. But then, as suddenly as the downpour began, the sunshine suddenly broke through the clouds. My co-workers and I hoped for the best and continued our journey to this much hyped (by Ludette) bar on a boat.

When I saw the red barge stenciled with the words "Frying Pan" bobbing on the Hudson River and bathed in golden sunlight, I got over myself real quickly. The place is just ADORABLE! And mind you, it was completely soaked and full of puddles when we went. I imagine it would be devastatingly charming on a perfectly sunny day. We took a table by the bow of the boat and dug into a bucket of Coronas and a couple of mounds of garlic fries--all of which added up to a mere $38. I love cheap food, but cheap food with an amazing view of the sun setting over the Hundson will have me bordering on fatal attraction! I fully intend on hitting up the Frying Pan a few more times before Summer ends. There are crab cakes and bratwurst's to be had before the air turns chilly. It's a summer fling I know I'll never regret!

Where: Pier 66 N. River West 26th St & the West Side Highway, New York, NY 10021 Tel. (212) 989-6363

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...