Sunday, March 01, 2009

Curled Up


Our friends Jenny and Justin came to the city for the weekend to visit from upstate NY. While the boys went off to play pool, Jenny and I had girl time all Saturday. We started by getting all dolled up. Jenny curled my hair into these pretty curls using, get this, a flat iron!

Jenny told me that she learned this technique because there was a hairstyling school on the way to the bar she used to own in Korea and she would stop and watch them. Try to ignore my bangs that badly need a trim and concentrate on the curls. Here's how to do it.

First, make sure your hair is completely dry. Ironing wet hair damages the strands (believe me, I've made that mistake and it literally fries your hair).

Grab a section of hair and straighten the section from the top of your head to about your ears to get the top section perfectly smooth. When the iron is at the point above the ears, twist the hair around the iron once. With one hand holding on to the end of your hair and the other holding the iron, tap the iron up and down all the way down the section of hair until you reach the end of your hair. This tapping motion creates and sets the curl. Repeat until you've curled all of your hair, then lightly spray with hairspray.

This works best if you have a thin flat iron, about 1-inch in width. I was so happy to learn this technique because it means I only really need one hair tool, which is great because it makes packing for travel and storing stuff in my tiny Manhattan apartment so much easier!

2 comments:

Chloe said...

Your hair looks great! What a neat trick. Once my hair gets a little longer, I'll have to give that a try.

celine said...

Thanks Chloe! It really is! Good luck with it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...