Thursday, March 05, 2009

Gnudi


Last night, I lost my gnudi virginity. I have to say, my first time was beautiful.

I don't know how I ever lived without knowing it. Gnudi, the Italian word for "nude", is the moniker for ricotta dumplings. It is pretty much an undressed ravioli, and reminds one of gnocchi except it is lighter and fluffier because it is made of ricotta, not potato.

I had my first brush with gnudi at Mia Dona, which we have now declared one of our favorite restaurants after two amazing dinners there in a row. Mia Dona's gnudi has everything one could possibly want from a dish. The dumplings are as fluffy as pillows and coated in a heavenly truffle butter sauce. There was a good helping of crispy prosciutto, lots of earthy mushrooms, and fried sage leaves. It is rich, definitely, but I was never overwhelmed by taste and by the last bite, I could still eat more. The serving is quite generous and definitely worth $17 (a smaller portion is also available for $11).

They say you never forget your first. I definitely won't!

Where: 206 East 58th Street between 2nd and 3rd Avenues. Tel. (212) 750-8170

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...