Thursday, March 12, 2009

Nice and Kushi-Q


I really don't know why it took me almost a year to try Kushi-Q, given its proximity to the UN. I've known about it for awhile now because my friend and former co-worker Vanessa would always come back to her desk with a salmon bento, but didn't get around to trying it til today. Kushi-Q is pretty much a fast food version of yakitori. Since East burned down last week (I know! Sob! After I fell in love with their half-price yakitori Tuesday nights too!), I've been trying to find a quick sub in the area. My dear foodies, we have a winner.

I ordered the Butabara Bento Set, which is made up of three skewers of bacon coated in tare sauce atop a bed of salad, plus a cup of miso soup. While the bacon is missing the delightful char one gets from a classic yakitori grill, it mimics the flavor of yakitori bara pretty closely. The salad serving is extremely generous; I couldn't finish it so next time I'd probably ask for the half rice-half salad option. The miso soup is nothing special but as long as it warms up my tummy and it's free, I'm good. I think it's a very good deal for just $7.35 (with tax), considering just yesterday I paid over $10 for an inedible lobster bisque and a very basic salad at the deli near my office. I can't wait to go back tomorrow and try the salmon, or maybe chicken teriyaki, or maybe atsuage tofu ... mmm mmm mmm!

The place itself is super cute. White leather stools line a bar on the wall, Japanese pop plays non-stop, and everything is just super clean and sleek. I can imagine it'd be crowded during lunchtime, but I went at 6PM and it was pretty deserted. Good for a quick bite or a takeout pick-up after work, if you're lazy to cook. Definitely a must-try for Midtown East inhabiters!

Where: 723 Third Avenue between 45th and 46th Streets

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...