Monday, March 09, 2009

Sweat It Out

Last Saturday, I got my ass handed to me on an excruciatingly hot platter when I took a class at Bikram Yoga NYC. I broke up with my gym, Sportsclub LA, because the $165 monthly fee was just too steep for me (What was I thinking signing up for that?!). So since November, my exercise regimen has consisted of daily walks to the bus stop, between office buildings, and to the nearest Cosi. Obviously, this was not a very effective weight control method, especially since as this blog constantly shows, I am prone to midnight yakitori snacking and constant cocktail-imbibing.

I started feeling really sluggish and unhealthy so I looked into some new exercise options. My friend Cris turned me on to Bikram Yoga NYC, which has 4 locations in the city and most important of all, a one-week unlimited offer for new students for just $23! I think it's totally brilliant of them to offer that because if I had only done one class, there's no way I'd come back because the first class KILLED me. But since I have a one-week deal, I'm giving myself a week to keep trying and maybe, just maybe, I won't be such a wimp come next Saturday.

The class itself was quite good. I really like how Bikram Yoga NYC does special classes on the weekends specifically for beginners because the instructor slows down and takes the time to explain the poses. Our instructor, Jennifer, was full of California sunshine and perkiness. To be honest, at the beginning of the class I thought, "Why in the hell must she be so perky?" (Yes, this city's evilness has gotten into my system) But in the last half hour, when I was on the verge of crying for my mommy, I was grateful for the lively voice that prodded us to stay the course.

The Upper East Side location was clean, with a small but adequate locker room and shower area. The one-week beginner's offer comes with free mat rental for the entire week. Towels can be rented for $1 each. The website says bring your own lock, but this location actually has lockers with keys so it's not necessary. I'm not sure about the other 3 locations, though.

To register for the one-week unlimited week of classes for beginners, call the location you would like to go to. See their contact info here.

UPDATE: I had a great class today!!! I did every pose, never wimped out, never freaked out. So so so happy. The 7PM class was so full we were practically shoulder-to-shoulder, but it was worth it. The teacher, Patrick, was great. So funny and very good energy. It helped I think that this time I had no inflated expectations of myself. Last time I thought I'd rock it but I crashed and burned. This time I thought I would die, but I did every pose and never felt like fainting. So yay! I also drank tons of water all day long, so I felt pretty good. Makes me really inspired to go back!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

cel! coincidentally i'm doing Bikram too:) $29/2 weeks with FREE mat and towels...guess OC is much cheaper that NYC. Hopefully this time around i won't wimp out and quit!
-'Te Chik

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...