Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Another Try for Cafe Falai?

I love the crisp glamour of this place, with its all white interiors and glittering crystal chandeliers overhead

Tam and I had a NY moment as we toasted with our strawberry infused prosecco

I keep ordering gnocchi but really shouldn't. It's not that good.

I've been to Cafe Falai twice, both meals being quite unremarkable—though knowing me it's probably because I ordered the same unremarkable dish both times. The gnocchi (above) is nothing to write home about, so avoid that. Reading the reviews, it seems that the best bets here are the baked eggs, paninis made using their signature focaccia, and the bomboloni. Their pastries must be good too, since the establishment is run by former Le Cirque pastry chef Iacopo Falai. I think I might drop in again to just see if I missed something, but I just might get takeout because service was horrendous last time. Our waiter was perpetually MIA, and I had to eventually go to the counter to ask for the bill AND again to give my money and get my change. We actually wanted to get dessert and coffee, but didn't want to waste our whole afternoon waiting to get some service so we just left. The waiter did apologize in the end that they were so crazed, but I think that there's no excuse for a Nolita restaurant to be understaffed on a Sunday during brunch. When else were you expecting customers to come? They only had 2 waiters to serve the entire restaurant, and no runners at all. Plates were never cleared and it was like pulling teeth to get someone to take an order.

Hmm after reliving the incident in my head, maybe I don't want to go back and eat there again. But takeout, that I'd maybe consider.

Where: Cafe Falai at 65 Lafayette St. between Prince and Spring Streets, New York, NY 10012. Tel. 917.338.62072

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...