Saturday, September 13, 2008

Holly Golightly knows how to make a statement

One of my favorite lines in Breakfast at Tiffany's is, "Personally, I think it would be tacky to wear diamonds before I'm 40." I don't agree of course, but I think that it's a specially relevant statement this season when fashion is all about the statement necklace. They needn't be 24-karat diamonds hanging around from your necklace, so long as they're creative, aesthetically pleasing, attention grabbing, and utterly unique! Holly Golightly was all about statement jewelry. My favorite piece is the one she has on in the picture above, but who can forget the strings of pearls she wore as she ate a Danish in front of Tiffany's, or the sparklers she wore with a bedsheet that made her look like a Grecian princess? I've always liked statement neckpieces. In fact, I used to make them. Here's one of my pieces featured in The Philippine Star in 2006 and styled by Luis Espiritu.

I should really pick up a beading needle and make myself a darker, more sophisticated version of this for fall. Maybe I'll hit the fashion district for materials this week. But until I get my butt off my couch, here are fun stuff that can be bought with a click of a mouse and delivered straight to my doorman's capable hands:

I love this rocker chic gunmetal mesh bib by RJ Graziano. Retailing for $225 at Bloomingdale's, it is not cheap. But I'm starting to get tired of disposable clothes and accessories, and maybe it's best to buy something like this that I feel will transcend the season.


This is another really cute bib by ABS by Allen Schwartz, a tad more affordable at $125 at Bloomie's. This, too, makes a statement but is not über trendy and can last past fall.

It would be nice to have something long too, for variety, like this Cara Couture multi chain necklace, $98 at Bloomie's. There's a verrry similar version though from Banana Republic for $48! Maybe that's a better bet, since I'm not positive that will be an evergreen piece. While we're on the topic of Banana Republic, let me say that they always have some nice jewelry which are very detailed for the price. I will most probably get this one, which is a great piece for $59.

What would Holly do???

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

SPeaking of BR, did you see the grey houndstooth sheath on their website? Gorgeous! Although I'd have to see it in person to see how visibl the pattern was, online the sheath just looks like a gunmetal grey....

xx
Sonu

celine said...

OMG I just looked at it, it really is gorgeous!! Oh I can totally see you in it! That's the perfect work to cocktails dress, eh?

Did I just say eh? Hahaha ...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...