Friday, September 12, 2008

Marie Antoinette's New Puppy

I think I just got all the French people in the office into an uproar by showing them the slide show of the Jeff Koons retrospective currently ongoing in Versailles. Château de Versailles has opened its gilded halls and manicured gardens to the work of American contemporary artist Jeff Koons. Read the full New York Times article discussing the exhibit and the controversy it's created here.

I don't quite know what to think! It's a little crazy to see a sculpture of Michael Jackson and his monkey Bubbles just chilling in the palace. And the vacuums, lobster chandelier, and busty blonde and pink panther look so out of place ... But I still want to see it! It's like not being able to turn your head away from looking at a car crash. I seriously wish I were in Europe now because I would catch the first train to Versailles to just stand with mouth agape at all of it. Plus, I've always found it endlessly fascinating to see old and new juxtaposed against each other.

I do think it's funny though how one man in the article commented that the exhibition is "an outrage to Marie Antoinette." I don't know ... somehow I think that if her flamboyant little self saw that gigantic pink balloon dog in her foyer, she'd love it and order it in every color.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...