Monday, September 15, 2008

Portobello never looked so good

Dark portobello. That's what color it is. I was fingering the soft grained leather of a Marc by Marc Jacobs bag in Bloomie's this afternoon partly because it was so pretty but also partly because it had me stumped. What color was this that looked like putty or taupe or ...

Dark portobello. That's what eLuxury suggested. I guess dark portobello sounds way more glam than putty and more exotic than just taupe. Moving on ...

These dark portobello bags of M by MJ are really worth getting stumped over. They're a series of bags dubbed Dr. Q something or other—sexy versions of the doctor's bag. My favorite: Dr. Q Shorty ($498 at eLuxury). I like it primarily because of the structure: top handle, detachable bag strap, and smaller size. Size is important because I'm trying to stop buying bags that you can stuff me into. I also like the level of detail: the distinct pleating down the front and the small buckles decorating the flat handle. It's $70 more expensive than the other Dr. Q bags, but I think if you've already decided to cough up over $400 for a bag, you might as well pay $70 more and get the really well-crafted version.


Unless you're into slouchy. If you are, there's the Dr. Q Lil Riz ($428 at Eluxury and Bloomingdale's). I tried this on my shoulder today at Bloomie's, and it bothered me that its shape became so undefined when on the shoulder. But maybe when there's more stuff in it, it'll hold.


If you're one of those people who likes to carry everything and the kitchen sink, the Dr. Q Grace bag ($428 at eLuxury) is the portobello for you. At 13.5"x 11.5" it's a good size. It'd be perfect for carrying files, portfolios, and such. But not for me. I've gotta downsize.


The only problem with getting a dark portobello bag is that it entails purchasing a matching pair of shoes. Call me old-fashioned but I've always felt strongly about matching my bags and shoes (and my bag's hardware to my jewelry). But hey, the fashion industry actually agrees with me this season! I think I've found the perfect pair, which I've posted, oh, 3 times already. That's just how cool they are! They're those booties by Ash from Bloomie's.

I think I might heart portobello ...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...