Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Sexy Time: Buddakan

Being the Sex and the City groupie that I am, I've been wanting to grab drinks at Buddakan with a girlfriend since seeing Miranda sh*t on Carrie's wedding day bliss in the premises. I wanted to take Sonu there last week but we got sidetracked by Indian food and pomegranate mojito-sloshed men.

Last night, I finally got my fix. I went with my good friend Tamara who was visiting from Hong Kong. It was such a milestone for us to be wining and dining in New York together. Back in the day we used to daydream about doing just that from our desks, when we still worked on the editorial team of Lifestyle Asia. We've come full circle, and it's an amazing and almost surreal place to be at.

I wasn't so into doing the full dinner because I'm not keen on fusion Chinese. I am a Chinatown devotee, after all. It was quite late too so Tam and I settled on some appetizers and vino. We ordered crispy duck spring rolls with foie gras and passion fruit dip ($14). I didn't notice the "foie gras" on the menu, and did not notice it in my spring roll either. I pretty much just tasted duck. It was alright, nothing special I think. We also ordered chili rock shrimp with crispy ginger ($13) and boneless spareribs with Chinese mustard ($13). Of the three, I found the spareribs most satisfying. The shrimp had a nice crunch and a spicy kick to it. Good enough food, but certainly not life altering. I would take Chinatown spareribs and Yakitori Taisho's rock shrimp any day. That said, one goes to Buddakan to drink in the ridiculously opulent interiors and atmosphere, so I would still come back here to grab drinks, especially when other SATC-crazy friends are around. But I would definitely stuff myself at Joe's Shanghai beforehand. Now those soup dumplings are life altering!
Where: 75 9th Avenue, between 15th & 16th Streets.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...